Borders finds success through involvements

Senior Antoinette Borders wears many hats at the University of La Verne. But on Saturday afternoons none are more important than her green and orange uniform she wears for her track and field meets.

However to others Border’s inspirational hat is what people will remember most.

“She’s an amazing individual,” junior John Lejay said. She’s always willing to help people.”

John Lejay is a member of the men’s track and field team and works as co-Greek coordinator with Borders.

“She’s encouraging everyone,” Lejay said. “She takes it serious but she always easing everybody nerves.”

Like Lejay sophomore Corbin Henault feels the same way.

“Antoinette is amazing; everyone knew Antoinette was going to be captain,” Henault said.

“I guess my first impression was her openness and warmth,” Director of Career Services Paula Verdugo said. “

Verdugo served as faculty adviser for Sigma Kappa during Border’s term as president. Verdugo said she loved the interaction she had with Borders.

“She invites me in, makes me feel part of the group,” Verdugo said.

With all the praises from family and friends, Borders tries to end her career at ULV with a bang.

Borders was a dual sport player in high school. She played on the basketball team and track and field team.

“In high school I did pretty good,” Borders said. “I won league in shot and discuss.”

Borders initially went out for the ULV women’s basketball team but got sick during early team practices. Instead Borders went on to join the track and field team, a sport she thought she will never play in college.

“I had no intention,” Borders said. “ I never thought I’ll come to school for throwing. I came for basketball but it didn’t work out.”

Borders also started participating in other extracurricular events. Borders joined Sigma Kappa, where she would later become president.

“I would rather be busy than just sit around and do nothing,” Borders said. “If I had nothing to do then I wouldn’t do anything with my time.”

Borders admits that it was not easy balancing everything. She said that during her junior year it was troublesome.

“It was really hard for me being president and doing track,” Borders said. “I got stress out really easily, but I mostly got around it.”

“There are times I chose sorority over track and my coach got mad,” Borders added. “But it was a decision I wanted to make.”

This season however Borders had her best. She hit new personal best marks as well as placed 2nd in Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference finals.

And Borders managed to complete this under those same different hats.

“Stepping out of the limelight I’m still doing stuff that I thought I wasn’t going to do,” Borders said. “I learned how to deal with it better but I’m still doing as much as I was before.”

No comments:

Post a Comment